Recite Me

Need a translation? Visit health information in other languages. If you need urgent help, call NHS 111 - tell them you need a translator.

Need help finding us? Click here

Coronavirus: Wash hands, cover face, make space…. Find our Covid-19 information and updates here.

  • If you need help with your mental health today, we’re here for you

    If you need urgent support today out of hours, you can visit an NHS Recovery Café in Tooting or Wimbledon. If you are anxious, low or stressed, NHS Talking Therapies offers a range of free confidential support.

    Find out more

  • workforus2022

    Join our Trust

    We believe that good staff and good patient experience go hand in hand and the people who work with us are at the very heart of delivering an excellent service to our patients.

    Find out more

  • Sign up for our Summer Street Party and celebrate the opening of Springfield Village

    We’re pleased to announce that we're bringing our Making Life Better Together (MLBT) summer party back this summer!

    Find out more

  • New app launched to help patients manage their medication 

    A new app has been designed to help patients and service users to log and keep track of their medication intake in just a few simple steps. 

    Find out more

Corner House

Corner House is a six-bed national specialist assessment and treatment unit for deaf children and adolescents aged 8 up to their 18th birthday, with severe complex emotional and psychological problems.

Directions from Glenburnie Road Entrance

Directions from Burntwood Lane Entrance

Who is the service for?:

Children and Young people aged 8 - 18

How to refer:

Referrals can be made by a range of services including CAMHS, paediatricians, audiologists, social services, schools, GP's and national deaf outreach service.

We encourage telephone contact to discuss potential referrals. Following this a referral form is completed and sent via post / fax or secure e-mail to the unit.

The unit is commissioned by NHS England and referrals are accepted from within the UK. For referrals outside England funding will need to be agreed with the local team prior to admission.

Service address:

Corner House  Building 5,  Springfield Hospital,  61 Glenburnie Road,  London SW17 7DJ

Contact name:

Omar Mansaray

Telephone numbers:

  • Ward 020 3513 6860

  • To make a referral enquiry

  • Out of hours number

E-mail address: 


07595 414 692

How to get here:

View map

Area served:


Opening hours:

Monday – Friday. The unit can remain open at weekends if there is a clinical need.









Inpatient services

Young people that are very unwell sometimes need to be treated in a hospital ward. 

We try to make admissions for young people as short as possible; even when someone is unwell the best place to be to make a recovery is usually at home with support of family, friends and community teams. 

For this reason we have a team that provides intensive, short-term support to young people at home and to their families – this is the Adolescent Assertive Outreach Team (AAOT).

We will talk about your individual needs and plan for your discharge with you from the start and throughout your admission.

Aquarius ward

Aquarius is an inpatient unit for young people (12 – 18 years of age) who are experiencing a mental health crisis.

Young people who come to Aquarius are in need of help with various issues they are struggling with. It has a total of 12 beds and the young people there spend time with each other and staff during groups, school and free time.

Everyone’s needs are different and the team on Aquarius will work with you to plan your individual care. This will mean setting goals for your admission which is called a Care Plan and future orientated goals called Recovery Goals.

You can get many different types of help on Aquarius:
  • Someone to talk and explore your needs and goals of admission (with your named nurse, or another member of the team)
  • Help with your education in the classroom
  • Learn things that will help when you’re distressed, these can be called coping skills.
  • Support to talk with your family, this can be family work, family meetings or therapy.
  • To discuss with your doctor if medication could be helpful.
  • Help learning life skills such as finances, finding education and employment or getting public transport.

Wisteria ward

Corner House



ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. It affects between 0.5-5% of UK children, and is more common in boys than girls. APD stands for auditory processing disorder.

ADHD is characterised by:

  • Inattention - cannot listen or concentrate for long, cannot finish tasks, distractible, forgetful, disorganised
  • Overactive - unable to sit still, fidgety, restless, running about most of the time, constantly talking
  • Impulsive  - unable to wait or take turns, speaking without thinking about the consequences, interrupting

Children with APD may have difficulties with listening, or making sense of the sounds heard, particularly in environments with a lot of background noise. They usually have normal levels of hearing and normal intelligence. APD often becomes more obvious when children start at school.

What should I do?

If you think any of this sounds familiar, go to your GP and ask them to refer you to CAMHS. It will help to speak to teachers to see if the behaviour is the same at school.

Children with ADHD respond best to clear boundaries and consistent expectations, but this can be very difficult to maintain under the stress and strains of parenting.


It is important to do a full assessment to make sure there isn't another explanation for the behaviour, so a CAMHS worker will meet with the family and go through lots of questionnaires. These will also be sent to school so we can see if the behaviour is the same there as it is at home. There might be observations so we can see how things look outside of the clinic.


Sometimes we will recommend you complete a parenting course that is aimed at managing challenging behaviour in children. If medication is felt necessary, this will be discussed with your clinician. 

There are no medications to treat APD.

Sound discrimination is one of the main difficulties for those with APD. This means they can have trouble hearing the difference between certain sounds or may hear certain sounds incorrectly. They might say dat for that or free for three.

Speech therapy can help children with APD make those sounds better and more clearly. Speech therapists can also help children:

  • Improve perception of individual sounds (phonemes) in words, which can help with reading skills
  • Develop active listening skills, like asking a person to repeat directions
  • Use language appropriately in social situations

There are other treatments available.

becoming a foundation trust

Moving on

If you have been treated in CAMHS you may not need to be referred on to adult mental health services.

Your GP and the local primary care team may be the only service involved in taking care of their mental health needs. GPs can provide the continuity for a young person and their family. They can refer to specialist services if needed.

The primary care team may be able to continue with the management of some disorders such as anxiety, depression and eating disorders. The team may also be able to provide or refer to counselling or psychological treatments, such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). They can also refer to adult mental health services if appropriate.

In some local areas, there may be a 16-19 services or team which help adolescents with mental health problems move from CAMHS to adult mental health services.

Some young people may have mental illness that can be more severe (requiring hospital treatment or review of medications prescribed for mental illness). They might have disabilities such as learning disabilities, along with their mental health problems. In this situation, the care and support is likely to be handed on to adult community mental health or adults with learning disability teams.

For parents/carers

As young people reach the later teenage years, parents may no longer be the main carers. Young adults begin to take on the responsibility to make decisions about their own care. For parents used to being involved in the decision-making about their child's treatment, may find themselves consulted less. It is important that parents feel able to contribute to the decision about on-going and future care.

For young people

The transition from childhood to adulthood can be a difficult for everybody. Taking responsibility for yourself and your treatment is something not all young people are able to do by a given age.

The most important part of leaving CAMHS is to be able to talk about what you need.

This means understanding your illness, medication if prescribed, your skills, abilities and needs in everyday life. You may need to ask professionals and people, such as family or friends that you know well, for their opinions. This will help you to make decisions about what support you might benefit from. Even if no specific service is available for you, it is important to ask.


Latest News

Read more

Ways to Contact Us