Richmond and Barnes Hospitals Redevelopment
As part of the Trust's Integrated Programme we are investing to develop new and refurbished facilities in the borough of Richmond
The Richmond Royal and Barnes Hospital sites have been underused for a number of years, and their condition and design means they are unsuitable for modern mental health services.
Due to the listed status of the Richmond Royal site and the age of the buildings on both sites, it was not possible to create environments to suitably meet modern mental health care standards for our patients and deliver a good working environment for our staff. As a result, the Trust has progressed disposal and re-development plans for each site.
The Trust plan to continue to deliver Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) outpatient services from the site of the former Richmond Royal Hospital, following the completion of refubishment works later in 2023.
Our timeline so far:
- In December 2015, the Richmond Royal site was declared surplus in order to raise the funds needed to support wider investment in the development of new mental health facilities for South West London.
- As a result, the site was placed on the market in January 2017 and sold in March 2018. We are retaining a presence at Richmond Royal and intend to continue to provide high quality services from the site. Services and staff levels within the borough of Richmond will not be reduced as a result of the estates work.
- Building works are progressing on a new 500m2 healthcare facility at Richmond Royal. To ensure this does not disrupt delivery of care, some services were temporarily relocated to Barnes Hospital in 2019, with others relocated to the Maddison Clinic in Teddington.
- Works are ongoing and upon completion we will be relocating* Richmond CAMHS to Richmond Royal in autumn 2023.
*See further information below on the relocation of Richmond CAMHS from Barnes Hospital to Livingston House in late winter 2023 (to faciliate construction works at Barnes Hospital) prior to its move to the newly refurbihsed facility at Richmond Royal in autumn 2022
Inpatient services have not been provided at Barnes Hospital since 2013. The site is underused and its condition and design make it unsuitable for developing modern mental health inpatient care.
The Trust is retaining part of the site and this will be used to continue to deliver the existing adult outpatient services at Barnes Hospital.
In all, the transfromation represents an £11m investment in mental health services as Barnes becomes part of a new mixed-use community alongside housing and a new school, which is being developed by LocatEd, an arms length body of the the Department for Education.
Our timeline so far:
- Following an initial stage of marketing to inform our options during 2017, the Trust began working to develop a vision for the site. Public consultations for a new planning application were held in November and December 2017. The events were well attended and following feedback from the public, the plans were revised and the Trust held further public exhibitions in September 2018.
- Alongside the planning application, the Trust progressed its plans for disposing of surplus parts of the site in order to provide funding for wider estate regenrations and in March 2019 the Trust sold half of the Barnes Hospital site to a residential developer.
- The Trust had outline planning permission approved at Committee in September 2020 for a new mixed-use development comprising a health centre and a Social and Emotional Mental Health (SEMH) School, supporting both education and mental health needs for the community.
- The Trust continued to work with staff, patients and the community to refine and develop site plans and specific designs for the healthcare facility over 2021 and into 2022
- In November 2022 the Trust and its partners held a public consultation on the final plans for the halthcare facility and the school providing an opportunity for the community to share their feedback ahead of the final planning application. The consultation website can be accessed here and the Statement of Community Engagement can be downloaded here.
- Pending final planning approval and Government sign-off works are scheduled to commence in early spring 2023 for delivery in late spring 2024.
We continue to work closely with patients, staff, our partners and our wider community as this exciting vision for Barnes Hospital progresses.
Temporary relocations to Livingston House
Pending final approvals, early works and construction are due to get underway at Barnes Hospital from early spring 2023, taking approximately 15 months.
All services will be maintained during this time, and we will be working to ensure minimal disruption for patients, service users and staff throughout the process.
For the duration of this construction period, all teams currently based at Barnes will relocate into temporary accommodation at Livingstone House in Teddington, approximately five miles away from the current site.
The new address will be:
2-6 Queens Road
The relocation is planned 14-15 April meaning that from Monday 17 April 2023, all appointment currently held at Barnes will take place in Livingston House for patients under the care of the following teams:
- Richmond Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)*
- Richmond Recovery and Support Team
- Richmond Personality Disorder Intensive Treatment Team
- Richmond Adult ADHD
- Richmond Memory Assessment Service
- Richmond Older People’s Care Home Liaison Service
- Richmond Older People’s Intensive Community Support Team
- Richmond Older Peoples Recovery and Support Team
- Richmond Depot Clinic
- Richmond Clozapine Clinic
As usual, all appointment locations will be clearly marked on appointment letters shared by the team providing patients’ care so these should continue to be used as a point of reference.
Moving back to Richmond Royal and Barnes
In autumn 2023, Richmond CAMHS will move back to site of the former Richmond Royal Hospital once the refurbishment works are finished. Then around spring 2024 all adult outpatient teams temporarily located at Livingston House will move back to the new Barnes Hospital.
This will complete our journey to develop new and refurbished facilities for Richmond, delivering brand new environments for our staff and patients and supporting high quality mental healthcare for our community.
If you would like additional information regarding the work taking place in Richmond borough or the temporary relocations then please email EstateModernisation@swlstg.nhs.uk.