Improving our services
Like all our NHS colleagues across London, our Trust must evolve in order to offer consistently high quality services and maximise the value of every pound we receive.
This includes rethinking how we deliver services so they are more tailored to the individual, looking at the way we run our business and improving how we interact with our many different stakeholders.
At the heart of our plans for the future is supporting our patients to have greater control over their mental wellbeing. They expect to receive mental healthcare closer to their homes in ways and at times that are convenient to them.
Our Integrated Programme
To bring this vision to life, the Trust has developed a new Integrated Programme that will support our cultural, clinical and physical evolution.
This will ultimately enable us to improve our services and our culture to provide integrated care that is closer to home wherever possible, easier to access and to use, and which improves the experience for everyone who uses, visits or works in our services.
This programme is about:
- Ensuring South West London and St George's is a great place to work by continuing to develop our people so that they can be the best they can be, and provide outstanding quality of care
- Investing in up to date healthcare facilities so that our patients have the best environment in which to recover
- Making both community and inpatient services work together so that our patients get the right care and support as they need it - find out more about our Community Transformation programme here
Supporting our communities
The mental wellbeing of many people has been impacted directly by Covid-19, whether through the virus itself, the impact on jobs or the economy, self-isolation or the tragedy of losing a loved one.
As an important anchor institution within south west London this programme will further enable the Trust and our partners to support our communities and local economy by boosting local healthcare, training, employment and purchasing as we come together to recover from the impacts of Covid-19.
Investment and innovation
The Trust’s Integrated Programme represents major innovation and investment in our local communities. Most of our existing inpatient facilities were not designed with today’s needs in mind and we still care for some patients in buildings which are more than 150 years old.
The Integrated Programme will bring forward a range of benefits to the people who use our services, their carers and the local community, including:
- New and up to date hospital buildings at Springfield University Hospital and Tolworth Hospital and refurbished mental health facilities in Richmond and Barnes – delivering the best care for our patients
- A new ‘Springfield Village’ at Springfield University Hospital providing:
- A 32-acre public park in Tooting – providing excellent outdoor space for our community
- Shops and a café
- Brand new homes– providing hundreds of homes for families
- Land for a new school – investing in our children’s future
- Investment in local transport facilities – boosting transport links for residents
- Expanded community healthcare – treating people closer to their families and their home
- Creating an agile workforce and increasing training opportunities so that our staff can grow their skillsets
Set to open during 2022, our new hospitals at Springfield will provide high quality inpatient services that are designed to deliver the most modern mental health care in the country; giving people the best chance to recover in the best environment, and supporting staff to deliver the outstanding care our service users deserve from us.